“The Loser” (my ninth Bob Sanders story) was published in Issue 11 of Fleas on the Dog. If you’d like, you can read it here.
2021 Year in Review
- 1 book: A Sea of Troubles, Rowman and Littlefield (co-written with my wonderful wife, Liz)
- 3 short stories: “Resurrection,” “Fall,” “Burn”
- 1 essay: “In Defense of Defending the Literary Canon”
- The Catcher in the Rye
- A Raisin in the Sun
- Poetry of Langston Hughes
- The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
- The Woman Warrior
- Chronicle of a Death Foretold
- The Metamorphosis
- Oedipus Rex
- Romeo and Juliet
- To Kill a Mockingbird
- Farewell to Manzanar
Books Read or Re-read (a somewhat complete list, roughly in order):
- Anna Karenina (as you can see below, 2021 began and ended with Tolstoy)
- The Nickel Boys
- A Swim in a Pond in the Rain
- Six Stories by Anton Chekhov
- Shakespeare and Trump (Jeffrey Wilson)
- The Prince
- Plutarch’s Lives
- Titus Andronicus
- Julius Caesar
- Antony and Cleopatra
- Shakespeare and Game of Thrones (Jeffrey Wilson)
- Richard II
- Henry IV 1
- Henry IV 2
- The Merry Wives of Windsor
- Henry V
- Falstaff (Harold Bloom)
- Henry VI 1
- Henry VI 2
- Henry VI 3
- Richard III
- The Aeneid
- Ovid’s Metamorphoses
- Heracles Mad
- Augustine’s Confessions
- Beowulf (Seamus Heaney)
- The Mabinogion
- Dante’s Inferno
- Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
- The Canterbury Tales
- The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
- Swann’s Way
- Ulysses (just “Ithaca” and “Penelope” on Bloomsday)
- The Castle
- Cat’s Cradle
- Breakfast of Champions
- God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater
- The Sadness of Whirlwinds (Jim Peterson, Red Hen Press)
- Thus Spake Zarathustra
- War and Peace
Holiday Parties and Joyce’s “The Dead”
Merry Christmas! Re-posting a link to this 2019 essay on holiday parties and James Joyce’s “The Dead.”
New Story at Active Muse
“Burn” (my eighth Bob Sanders story) was published online by Active Muse. If you’d like, you can read it here. It’s a Christmas Story.
Story in “Regarding Utopia” Anthology
“Resurrection” (my sixth Bob Sanders story) was anthologized in Regarding Utopia by Scars Publications. If you’d like, you can purchase a copy here.
The story was previously anthologized in Excerpts from the Plague Years.
Story in Tulsa Review
My story, “Fall,” which is my seventh Bob Sanders story, was published in the 2021 issue of Tulsa Review. If you’d like, you can read it here.
“Just a Teacher” Podcast
Liz and I had a great discussion with Travis Goulter for the October 3, 2021 episode of Just a Teacher Podcast. You can listen to it here or wherever you listen to podcasts.
Essay at The Educator’s Room: In Defense of Defending the Literary Canon
My essay, “In Defense of Defending the Literary Canon,” was published at The Educator’s Room. If you’d like, you can read it here.
Excerpt from “A Sea of Troubles” in California English Journal
An excerpt from our book, A Sea of Troubles: Pairing Literary and Informational Texts to Address Social Inequality, appeared in the September 2021 issue of California English, the journal of the California Association of Teachers of English (CATE).
The excerpt is from our chapter on The Handmaid’s Tale, and you can read a pdf of the issue here.
Podcast Appearance: Teaching Matters
Liz and I had a great conversation with Scott Titsworth for the September 27th episode of NPR’s “Teaching Matters” podcast. Listen to it here or wherever you listen to podcasts.